Los Angeles County has taken preventative measures in response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), closures across schools and businesses to help reduce the spread of the virus, but for many survivors, staying home may not be the safest option. Abuse relies on a pattern of abuse and control. When survivors have to be in close proximity to their abuser, the abuser can use any tool to exert control over their victim, including a national health concern such as COVID-19. Read below for ways violence can impact persons surviving violence.
- A partner who abuses may withhold necessary items, such as hand sanitizer or disinfectants.
- A partner who abuses may share misinformation about the pandemic to control or frighten survivors, or to prevent them from seeking appropriate medical attention if they have symptoms.
- A partner who abuses may withhold insurance cards, threaten to cancel insurance, or prevent survivors from seeking medical attention if they need it.
- Travel restrictions may impact a survivor’s escape or safety plan – it may not be safe for them to use public transportation or to fly.
- A partner who abuses may feel more justified and escalate their isolation tactics.
Strength United is committed more than ever to the wellbeing of our community. Our 24/7 hotlines are operating and will be equipped to give COVID-19 resources. If you or anyone you know has been impacted violence or trauma please contact one of our advocates. Strength United advocates are available 24/7 at:
San Fernando Valley (818) 886-0453
Santa Clarita Valley (661) 253-0258
Additional Resources and Support for Survivors????????
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline is 24/7, confidential and free: 1-800-799-7233 and through chat.
- The National Sexual Assault Hotline is 24/7, confidential and free: 800.656.HOPE (4673) and through chat.
- The StrongHearts Native Helpline for domestic/sexual violence is available, confidential, and specifically for Native communities, 7am-10pm CT: 1−844-762-8483.
- The Trans LifeLine for peer support for trans folks. This hotline is staffed exclusively by trans operators, 9am-3am CT: 877-565-8860